Aftercare for your Outdoor Furniture
The summer has finally arrived and it is time to dust off the barbeque and clean up your wooden or oak garden furniture and make the most of the long summer days and evenings. There is nothing better than entertaining outside when it’s warm. Feasting with family and friends around your garden table or lazing on your garden sofa on terrace with a good book and a glass of wine. We deserve it don’t we after enduring all those cold and wintery months? But the cold and damp can leave your outdoor furniture looking in need of a bit of TLC. So what better way to embrace the sun than to give your patio furniture the love and attention it deserves and get it summer ready. Not sure how? We have some tips to get you started.
How to clean and look after wooden or Oak Garden Furniture
The robust and long lasting nature of wood makes it the makes it the material of choice for outdoor furniture. However, wooden garden furniture will require a little attention each year to keep it in great condition. Well worth the effort to keep it looking great year on year.A few simple steps to follow will give you quick and easy results.
- Firstly give your furniture a light clean with a cloth and mild soapy water. We suggest 4 drops of detergent to one litre of water. Wring out your cloth well before use.
- For a deeper clean – if your furniture has stains or patches of mould – use a soft brush and wash with a mixture of water and bleach.
- For tough to get rid of stains – a light sanding is in order – always in the direction of the grain.
- Oak is very hardy and looks particularly great when it is left to silver over time. But re-oiling or re-staining your wooden furniture every few years will ensure that it lasts a lifetime.
Outdoor cushions are exposed to a great deal of moisture, so the best advice is to give them a surface clean once a month. This will help reduce the build up of mould and staining. However, most outdoor cushions are made with fabrics that have moisture resistance built in – these can be unzipped and put straight in the wash! For cushions that need a wipe over, follow this recipe….
- in a bucket combine 1 litre of water + 1 tea spoon of washing up liquid + 1 tablespoon of borax.
- Dip in a soft cloth and use it to give your cushions a good wipe all over.
- Leave the solution to soak for 15 minutes, then rinse with a clean damp soft cloth.
- Stand your cushions on an edge and leave to in the sunshine until dry on all sides.
Image source : Pinterest
Bespoke Garden Furniture
Makers garden furniture is handmade to order for each client from selected sustainable French oak. We deliver within France and the UK. Any of our outdoor furniture can be made to bespoke sizes. We also love to take on commissions, so if you have an idea for something totally bespoke, do get in touch. We will be delighted to hear from you.
Our "Loire chairs look terrific and brilliantly finished. I have been very impressed with your service and attention to detail. If we need more bespoke furniture I know where to come! Thank you." Jamie Berry, London UK.